Okay, I’m a cupcake fan, so I’m going to go ahead and say this is probably the best thing I’ve made since this inception of ProCakes. I mean… how can you beat cupcakes????
The best thing about these babies is that they’re gluten free, and made with NO ADDED SUGAR! The ProCakes mix is already lightly sweetened with Xylitol, so I added a little Erythritol to sweeten them up to typical cupcake standards 🙂 If Erythritol is new to you, here’s a great article that talks about the benefits of using it (rather than artificial sweeteners). Basically, it’s an optimal choice as it doesn’t raise blood sugar (so no insulin spikes) and contains almost no calories as it’s not typically absorbed by the body. (If you don’t have Erythritol on hand, just use Zylitol or Stevia instead).
But most importantly – they are so freakin tasty! The recipe makes 12 mini cakes but I had enough leftover for a few small mug-sized cakes as well, so you could just do 12 normal sized cupcakes if you prefer.
I know…you’re going to love them 🙂
- 1 Cup ProCakes High Protein Pancake Mix
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I get mine at Trader Joes)
- 4 Tablespoons of Erythritol (or just use Xylitol or Stevia – but be careful to adjust the ratios as they are both much sweeter than Erythritol!)
- 2/3 C Almond milk (or dairy milk is fine)
- 1/4 C egg whites (that’s about 3 or 4 egg whites depending on size)
- 1/4 Non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla or chocolate extract (optional)
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin if you’re not using cupcake liners.
- Mix dry ingredients first (except sweetener) and then add in wet ingredients.
- Add sweetener to taste – it shouldn’t be overly sweet.
- Mix well and add mixture to cups or muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they look done. Every oven is a little different.
Each cupcake is about 43 calories, 4 net carbs, 1.5 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein!